Saturday, September 18, 2010

Brian Sherwin -- Art Critic

 In Her Hand -- by Brian Sherwin

This is my personal blog. The following is some basic information about me:

I got my start with art writing / criticism after joining the http://www.myartspace.com/ team in September of 2006. I started out as a Contributing Editor for the MYARTSPACE.com Blog and worked my way up to Senior Editor in a relatively short frame of time. Since that time I've interviewed over 500 visual artists-- ranging from James Rosenquist to emerging artists such as Anthony Lister--  and have written just as many, if not more, articles about art. Eventually I plan to publish a book about my experiences, art theories, and advice.

Before jumping into art criticism my focus was on painting. I am an exhibiting artist from Illinois-- having been involved with art exhibits in Chicago, Springfield, and smaller towns in between. In the past I've also been involved with art exhibits in Germany. I studied art at Illinois College and graduated in 2003 with a BA in Art. After having come into contact with so many artists I can say that I have a long way to go as a painter.

Modern Family: Mother and Child -- by Brian Sherwin

As a painter my work is focused on the degradation of society and the breakdown of the modern family unit. I convey the social decay that I observe around me by expressing my concerns with crude human forms and broken lines. During the early years of this exploration I formed an artist collective that I called Night-Ma!.  The collective dealt with issues of social degradation and the breakdown of our cultural perception of the 'family'. Needless to say, I have a deep interest in psychology and philosophy.

I often sign my artwork 'Balhatain' or 'BAL'. This is due in part because of a dream that I had. The dream-- which took place in a post-apocalyptic setting- was very vivid and people addressed me as "Balhatain" or "Bal". In exploring the meaning behind the name I discovered some interesting facts. For example, in Philippine mythology, a Bal-Bal is a corpse eating creature that is similar to vampires. BAL is also the abbreviation of an antidote that was once used to treat victims of chemical warfare. I found the name interesting-- so I stuck with it.

As an art critic, reviewer, and interviewer I have written for MYARTSPACE.com and have contributed to art magazines such as Hi Fructose Magazine. My written work has been quoted/referenced by Juxtapoz Magazine, The Boston Globe, Conseravative Punk-- and other magazines, newspapers, and websites. The success I've had as a writer would have never happened had it not been for the internet. It just goes to show what can be accomplished when one takes initiative toward his or her ambition.

Take care, Stay true,

Brian Sherwin

No comments:

Post a Comment