Sunday, October 24, 2010

Art that is perfect for Halloween -- Chet Zar

I must admit that October is one of my favorite months of the year-- I’m a horror film and ghost story buff. Thus, October-- due to the build up to Halloween-- is great because people tend to be in the same mode of thinking. Not to mention all of the great food that takes the spotlight during October-- I have a soft spot for pumpkin pie.

While I suppose I should be spending my time searching for printable pumpkin carving patterns, roasted pumpkin seed recipes, or Halloween costumes I can’t help but search for artwork that has a theme of horror. In the days to come I will be posting about artists and artwork that I think are perfect for Halloween.
Night” - oil on board 20x16” by Chet Zar

One of my favorite artists-- no matter the season-- is Chet Zar. That said, his body of artwork fit’s the vibe of October perfectly. For example, one of his paintings, “Night”, meshes his great sense for the strange with an obvious love for horror movies. The image depicts the iconic first zombie encounter in the cult classic Night of the Living Dead. The painting itself is the perfect visual homage to George A. Romero.


What amazes me about Chet’s artwork-- which often involves his vision of post-apocalyptic creatures and other mutated beings-- is that the characters often display a very human quality as far as emotion goes. I believe that is what makes some of his creations so disturbing. I urge anyone reading this to visit Chet Zar’s website-- especially if in the Halloween mood. -- http://www.chetzar.com/

I’ve known Chet for a few years now-- in the past he has donated artwork to some of my art charity projects. His mother was nice enough to send my daughter a stuffed elephant that she made. My point-- there is more to Chet Zar’s artwork than mere scare factor. The Zar's are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. That said, Chet’s website definitely offers some chilling images that are perfect for this time of year. ‘Tis the season and all that jazz.

Take care, Stay true,

Brian Sherwin

No comments:

Post a Comment